STC Gabriel L. Plaa Award of Distinction
The purpose of the STC Gabriel L. Plaa Award of Distinction is to honour those individuals who have made outstanding and sustained contributions to the science of toxicology in Canada and/or the Society of Toxicology of Canada.
Nominations must be made by two regular members of STC, in good standing, but no member may nominate more than one candidate during any one year. Nominations for the award shall be made to the Chairperson of the Awards Committee by July 1st of the year of the award.
Nominations must be accompanied by:
- A summary, not to exceed two pages, describing the nominee's contribution to the science of toxicology and/or to the STC.
- Copies of no more than five manuscripts and other documents considered by the sponsor to be pertinent to the award.
- The nominee's curriculum vitae and a brief biographical sketch suitable for press release.
Nominees who are not granted the award in the year of the nomination will be automatically included among the nominees in the two subsequent years unless the sponsors explicitly request otherwise. Sponsors will be invited to update previously submitted information.
The Awards committee is chaired by Past President and includes the junior councillor plus two members appointed by the Board from the general membership and who are not members of the Board. Nominations for the latter two members will be requested from the floor at the AGM. In current practice, the Past President as chair of the committee, nominates two members who have familiarity with the candidates work.
The following criteria will guide the Selection Committee:
- The recipient should have demonstrated outstanding and sustained contributions to the science of toxicology in Canada, and/or the recipient should have provided outstanding and sustained service to the Society of Toxicology of Canada.
- The Selection Committee will exercise discretion regarding the relative contribution of the recipient to the science of toxicology in Canada and/or service to the Society of Toxicology of Canada.
- The decision of the Selection Committee shall be final. Only one award may be made annually, and there is no obligation or duty to make the award when, in the opinion of the Selection Committee, there is no qualified nominee. Once the Selection Committee has completed their deliberations, the Chairperson will notify the Board their decision, and will in turn notify the successful nominee as appropriate.
Applications should be mailed to the STC mailing address by July 1st.
The Award takes the form of an engraved plaque plus a cheque for $500. Presentation of the award will be made at the president's reception following the Annual General Meeting. One of the nominating members will be invited to introduce the awardee and the award will be presented by the President.